The Real Food Thread

Shadows Of Imphras Public Forum. Open to Everyone!

Moderator: Lilithelle

Postby Ambar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:04 am

Meat eaters and veggie folk will never agree but Branthur hit the nail on the head .. anything in moderation :) Try using both types of *diet* and cut down the red meat, most dieticians would agree that less red meat, more veggies and fruits is better for you.

both scrambles sound yummy :)

Please post more recipes :) I loooove recipes!

Easier, yummier recipes are best for us, we cant take too much out of our wowing time to cook (LOL, moderation, right?)

So I like to create stuff and this is one of my daughter's favorite meals. Until recently she thought it was the hardest thing to make

Brown chicken in a large chicken fryer
Add cream of mushroom, chicken and celery soups .. cover and let cook til done

The soups make gravy for rice, noodles or taters your choice .. add enough soups to make TONS of gravy cause it is so much better later .. the chicken literally falls off the bone .. If you use boneless chicken it just falls apart.

Dangit hungry

Brown pork chops in a large pan (I use an electric skillet) top with thinly sliced onions . In a small bowl mix 1 can golden mushroom soup and (sounds gross but it works) 1/2 c ketchup and pour over onions / chops .. cover and cook til done. Use more soup as needed

ghetto tuna casserole .. as you are cooking your rice add a can of tuna and cream of chicken soup

easy yummy grilled cheese with a kick?
Mix your butter with taco seasoning .. not too much or it gets salty

I love campbell's soup recipes, I work weird hours and anything easy yummy and quick is right up our alley

o .. home made crab rangoon is both yummy and easy to make .. google Kraft Foods baked crab rangoon .. everyone who's tried it is an addict now

ehh here is the recipe .. http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/baked-crab-rangoon-95157.aspx

Baked Crab Rangoon

1 can (6 oz.) white crabmeat, drained, flaked
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA, 1/3 Less Fat than Cream Cheese, softened
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup KRAFT Light Mayo Reduced Fat Mayonnaise
12 won ton wrappers

HEAT oven to 350?F. Mix first 4 ingredients.

SPRAY 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Line each with won ton wrapper, extending edges of wrappers over sides of cups. Fill with crab mixture.

BAKE 18 to 20 min. or until won tons are golden brown and filling is heated through.

we've started using mini muffin pans .. cut the wontons in half, makes a bite sized bit of YUM .. cooking time 15 mins for the mini ones
Ambar

Postby Branthur » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:51 am

Very easy baked chicken recipe -

Preheat oven to 400.

Place chicken pieces into baking dish, season with salt.

In a bowl, mix 3 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp mayo, 3/4 tsp pepper, 1 clove minced garlic, juice and zest of 1 lime.

Top chicken with the mustard mix, bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes.
R.I.P. Eddie - 1967-2005
Branthur

Postby Akumida » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:33 am

someone had this insane chicken at work, but all I could tell (since it was just dropped off) was:

boneless/skinless chicken breast
had either mozzarella or swiss cheese
cream of chicken and cream of mushroom

That's all I could tell. it was baked in the oven, and had some veggies. Soooo - someone good with cooking feel up to extrapolating what would finish this as a good recipe?
Akumida

Postby Branthur » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Could be something similar to this...found on the Food Network website.

* 4 large skinless boneless chicken breasts
* 4 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for casserole
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 6 ounces (about 8 slices) Swiss cheese
* 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
* 1/4 cup white wine
* 1 cup herb-flavored stuffing mix, crushed

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Add the chicken to a shallow buttered casserole and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Layer the cheese slices on top.

In a medium bowl, add the soup and the wine, season with salt and pepper and pour over the cheese. Sprinkle stuffing mix on top and drizzle with melted butter.* Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.

No veggies listed, but wouldn't be much to add a few to the baking.
R.I.P. Eddie - 1967-2005
Branthur

Postby Branthur » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Blatantly taken from Paula Deen's website, but it is one of the best pot roast recipes I've tried.

1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless chuck roast
1 teaspoon Paula Deen House Seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup thinly sliced onion wedges
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup red wine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
3/4 cup water
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Add the House Seasoning, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Rub seasoning into the roast on both sides. Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the roast, searing it on both sides. Place the meat in a roaster pan. Add onions and garlic to skillet for 1 to 2 minutes to absorb leftover roast juice. Place into roaster pan with meat and bay leaves.

Combine the mushroom soup, wine, Worcestershire sauce and beef bouillon into a bowl. Pour over the roast. Add water.

Cover pan with foil and bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until tender.

Remove and discard the bay leaves.

(note for the House Seasoning...if you don't have any, which I don't - 1 part pepper, 1 part garlic powder, 2 parts salt gets you a good approximation)

(note 2 - You also want to make sure that your roast is fairly lean. An excessively fatty roast will make the gravy fairly oily, as opposed to a nice smooth gravy)
R.I.P. Eddie - 1967-2005
Branthur

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:04 am

Best brownies EVER!!! I've played with this recipe until it came out just like I like 'em.

1 cup butter
2 to 2 1/2 cups white sugar (I like them less sweet and add more chocolate chips, some like them more sweet)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or more, whatever!)
1 cup cherries (my preferred so far are the frozen Dole's Dark Sweet Cherries)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly butter and dust a 9x13 baking pan with flour.
Melt the butter and combine it with the sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly blended.
Combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt, then gradually stir into the chocolate mixture until blended.
Stir in the chocolate chips and cherries.
Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.

Bake approx 45 minutes until you get a clean toothpick test. Remove and allow to cool.

Serve with milk!

Dark chocolate chips are also a good complement with the cherries, but it all depends on how sweet or stout you like your chocolate in a brownie.

You can also toss some pecans in. They go really well with the cherries, but I prefer them with milk chocolate chips instead of the less sweet versions.
Ashiwi

Postby Branthur » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:17 am

Hrm, what would be a good replacement for the cherries? Our grocery store is...lacking when it comes to certain things. Bizarrely so, in many cases.
R.I.P. Eddie - 1967-2005
Branthur

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:41 am

You don't have to use the cherries, but here are a few suggestions.

If you don't have the frozen cherries, try checking the baking section for cherries packed in water where they keep the pie filling. If they don't have them packed in water, you can usually find the ones packed in syrup, but if you try using those, I suggest, instead of mixing them into the batter, to get as much syrup off as possible, and just swirling them into the brownie mix after you already put it in the pan. A couple of good alternatives to either of those would be to use either dried cherries, which you'll find with the other dried fruit, usually where the applesauce is, or maraschino cherries, which are typically with the hot fudge, or with the pie filling.

You could also try toffee bits, broken oreo cookies, your favorite chopped up candy bar, or peanut butter or white chocolate chips.
Ashiwi

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:56 pm

I can't believe I haven't posted this here, as it's one of my favorite dishes. I made this up ages ago after having a shrimp cocktail with cilantro at a Mexican restaurant. It's closer to a cold soup the way I make it, but still delicious.

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

1 lb shrimp, cooked, peeled, deveined
4 avocadoes, peeled, pitted, cubed
3 medium tomatoes, diced
A handful of cilantro, minced
3 or 4 garlic cloves, minced
A splash of lime juice
V-8

I find it easiest to toss the cilantro and garlic in a food processor with a little of the V8 and let it do the work. I also cut up the shrimp to make bitesize pieces, but that's preference. I'd give you better quantities, but I do everything by taste.

Toss everything together in a large bowl and add enough V8 to the bowl to just cover the rest. Let it sit overnight in the fridge.

Voila! Superhealthy, delicious, easy.
Ashiwi

Previous

Return to Public