Rachael - The Food Thread

Shadows Of Imphras Public Forum. Open to Everyone!

Moderator: Lilithelle

Rachael - The Food Thread

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:58 pm

Rachael and I were having a delightful discussion about tantalizing tastes earlier, including succulent delights such as chocolate covered macadamia caramel turtles, freshly baked pineapple Hawaiian bread, and BBQ ribs marinated in Jamaican beer.

Eventually our discussion somehow led to gefilte fish, I'm not sure how, which reminded me of a fish dish that I had been introduced to in my childhood, but I couldn't remember the name. All I really remember is that the odor brought tears to my eyes and bile to my throat, and induced nightmares for weeks after.

Rachael, I remembered the name. Lutefisk.

Feel free to google it, and pay no attention to the dire warnings. I'm sure it's safe to eat. Under the Wisconsin Regulation of Industry, Buildings and Safety regulations, section 101.58, paragraph J, 2.a, lutefisk is even given its own exemption from the definitions of "toxic substances."

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0101.pdf

Go ahead, make THAT the surprise ingredient at your next exotic cuisine soiree.
Ashiwi

Postby Kolyas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:04 pm

Hahaha! Sounds yummy!

However pineapple Hawaiian bread does sound intriguing. What's the recipe?
Kolyas

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:09 pm

We don't have a recipe yet. It was a challenge I issued to Rachael. I'm hoping for samples once the particulars are worked out.
Ashiwi

Postby corth » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:16 pm

Oy veyesmir! Gefilte fish!

So I went to iceland once and learned that one of their big delicacies is putrified fish. Basically, they take some fish and bury it for a few months. Then they dig it up and eat it. According to the article linked below it isn't rotten so much as... fermented.

http://www.gadling.com/2008/01/02/icela ... -delicacy/
corth

Postby Branthur » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:33 pm

I have to disagree, Ash. When it comes to Lutefisk, you pay attention to every single warning that you come across. It is one of the most vile culinary concoctions that I have ever run across.

Fortunately the Scandinavians redeemed themselves with Krumkake.
R.I.P. Eddie - 1967-2005
Branthur

Postby Kolyas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:31 pm

Scandinavians have an incredible variety in food... some awesome and some just horrid! Having sampled a fair amount, I would have to say stay away from the fish. Although pickled herring is kinda good... in the right circumstances. (ie. with a glass of aquavit)
Kolyas

Postby Yog » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:11 am

In english there is the phrase "aquired taste". It just means a taste that you like after you have eaten it a little.

Examples of aquired tastes could be olives or beer.

Lutefish is mainly from Sweden, and I think some there has gotten used to them.
Yog

Postby thalash » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:19 am

I was once served Lutefisk at a very expensive restaurant in Norway. It was ordered by my host, since I had asked to try "a local delicacy". It was, frankly, vile and disgusting, and I simply could not eat it. I was physically sick afterwards. You really don't want to try it :-)
Lilithelle tells you 'i think cofen is actually russian ethnically, he's american nationally'
Lilithelle tells you 'you'd think he'd be french'
thalash

Postby Kanenan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:06 pm

2 words. Head Cheese.

Icelanders party like it's six-teen-ninety-fo' !
Mori = The best damned hearse driver there ever was.
Kanenan

Postby Sotana » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:55 pm

Argh!! It's taken me a whole week to see this thread! Dang RL and all of its RL evils. Virtual evils are so much easier to ignore.

Someone make Kelly fix up her buttermilk peach dessert soup and send it to me, please.
Sotana

Postby Kolyas » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:44 am

Oh my, buttermilk peach dessert soup? I fear the mouth-watering has begun in earnest! Do share, Kelly!
Kolyas

Return to Public